LAST SHOT OF THE DAY... light trails around Yarm Town Hall 11/11/15
This week I fulfilled my childhood dreams by watching the UK's newest and best (just my opinion, maybe?) supergroup McBusted live at Newcastle's Metro Radio Arena. The link into their performance of Busted's hit "Crashed the wedding" involved band members Matt Willis and James Bourne "crashing" Tom's (Fletcher) famous wedding speech that went viral last year. Tom's quirky, heartfelt and comedic spin on a nerve-wracking wedding ritual has set the bar high for all future grooms and has inspired me to share my top tips on what makes a successful, unforgettable groom's speech.
1. Be comfortable - If you, like Tom, sweat at the thought of public speaking then deliver your speech in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Write it in the form of a song, an acrostic poem, a limerick (maybe not but you get the idea...) the more inventive the better!
2. Be organised, but not too organised! - Delivering a speech is a terrifying concept and the more prompts you have of what you're going to say the more relaxed you will feel. Index cards are a popular method to prompt your speech but ensure your cards are numbered to avoid any mishaps if the cards are incorrectly ordered on the day. Also, try writing bullet points rather than paragraphs to stop you reading your speech word for word - sounding like a robot is definitely not a wedding trend of 2014.
3. Be yourself - As much as everyone loves a humorous wedding speech, if you can't pull off a joke without making yourself cringe then it's probably best you leave the humiliation for your best man.
4. Complement your partner - It may seem like an obvious point but it is one of, if not the most important aspect of a groom's speech. This part of the speech is completely unique to you and your partner and it's worth commenting on how beautiful they look as it will probably be the last time you'll see them looking so good - they'll spend the rest of your wedded life in pyjamas refusing to make an effort.
5. Enjoy it! - Your wedding should be one of the best days of your life so try not to stress over your speech too much and embrace your day! If you do mess it up I'm 90% sure your wife won't divorce you... ha!
Haven't seen Tom Fletcher's (Tom from McFly) wedding speech? Then where have you been?! Luckily, I am willing to forgive anyone who missed this talented piece of online excellence - the link is below if you have read this whole post wondering what on earth I was talking about. Hope it inspires you!
Welcome to the newest and most exciting online venture at GWP! As we like to keep the business within the family, I (Gary's youngest daughter/ biggest success and inspiration) am going to be sharing the latest trends, ideas and gossip surrounding all things wedding in this contemporary blog format. Being supported and educated by the heart and soul of Gary Walsh Photography, I like to think that over the years I have picked up a few tips & tricks of the trade. Combining my knowledge of the industry with my passion for fashion and indulgence in social networking, I aim to be a helpful and inspiring guide for a wide variety of couples! Keep your eyes peeled for the next blog update - the links for all my blog posts will be posted on Facebook, Twitter and the Gary Walsh Photography website.